Can you believe that we are already just 1 week away from March? It’ll be summer before you know it! Here is what our team has been up to in their attempts to chase the winter blues away. Read on for the team’s favourites of the month and, of course, do not hesitate to share with us your discoveries too.
- New year, new resolutions! I promised myself to get back into sport and I started with yoga thanks to the website Affordable Yoga, which has a great selection of different classes at incredibly reasonable prices for Paris (6€ per hour). With multiple locations and a varied offer, you’ll be sure to find something to suit your agenda.
- I have also promised myself to read at least 1 book every month. In February I got through this little mood-booster: Mindfulness: A Practical Guide to Finding Peace in a Frantic World by Mark Williams and Danny Penman.
- Do you get goosebumps just by listening to someone talk? Or maybe you have a weird passion for soft repetitive sounds? If so, you may be part of the ASMR clan (Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response) – a phenomenon that has boomed in popularity in the last year. Want to try a “brain orgasm” before bed to help you fall asleep? My favourite YouTube channel is from Ano, who’s got lots of content on the subject. My favourite is the one where he uses 100 different objects to put you to sleep.
- Thanks to my job in Librairie du Globe (a Russian bookstore in Paris), I discover many great reads. The latest gem: The Women of Lazare by Maria Stepnova. A story of great love and great indifference, marked by the author’s delicate style, whose feminine touch is gentle yet powerful and immersive. By the way, you can meet Stepnova in person at the next Book Salon in Paris (the week-end of 16th to 19th of March) – Europe’s greatest literature fair – where Russian authors will be honorary guest this year.
- My second discovery: DIY vegetable wax candles that I have been practicing in making. You can find tutorials on blogs and YouTube. For supplies, I trust Amazon: I’ve left you direct links for wax and candle wicks.
- Brûlerie de Belleville (a famous Parisian roastery) does coffee tasting sessions every Saturday. Why go? For an in-depth understanding of the coffee culture, for tasting different coffee sorts, and recording your impressions on a piece of paper. Pull your best expert face (this one’s infused with that and that) and don’t hesitate to dramatically spit out the sip you’ve just taken. Intrigued? Sign up here.
- A Sydney-based accessories brand The Outlier: a fresh, minimalistic design and an airy Instagram account I love to see in my feed.
- For those lucky ones who live in Moscow (or for those planning to go there shortly): the exhibition of Russian avant garde architecture of the 1920’s and 30’ will be running until 1st of April in the Shchusev Museum of Architecture. Both professionals in the field and those who have knowledge on the subject will be entertained.